Friday, February 3, 2012

My nerdatorium is complete

Pics to come soon, but my office/studio aka "nerdatorium" is finally all put together at our new house. I just connected the printer/scanner this morning.

I'm surrounded and I love it! I have 13 maps on 4 walls and no, that is not enough. Yes, I still have plenty more maps that didn't make the cut for limited space. It would be great if I had a HUGE room that I could fill with folding screens so I could hang many many more maps and other inspiring references. I have a new desk and bookshelf to organize all the printed stuff and stacks of notebooks, I have a drawing/tracing table (finally a real one), a comfy chair, and soon to get a nice 24" flat screen monitor. I think the very last thing I need to really put the finishing touches on is a plastic floor mat so I can easily zip back and forth from the "work stations".

Now I can finally get back to what I do best.....wasting time in constructed fantasy worlds.

Tolkien actually had a name for it: mythopoeia. It's actually from the Hellenic Greeks, but most probably wouldn't have even known of the word or concept until Tolkien used it in the 1930s. It means - a narrative genre in modern literature and film where a fictional mythology is created by the writer of prose or other fiction.
There are lots of examples of this beyond Tolkien, but he is somewhat the forefather of it all for his in depth creation of Middle Earth.

The plan now is to get back into drawing and then scan everything into Photoshop for inking, coloring, and overall touch-ups. I would love to churn out things like the pros over on Shadowcore [http://shadowcoreillustration.blogspot.com/] - especially their most recent postings - but we'll have to see how long it takes to shake the rust of the old scribblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment